SARACCA

Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – Steps to Registration

Home  >>  News  >>  Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – Steps to Registration

Refrigeration and Air Conditioning – Steps to Registration

On October 8, 2018, Posted by , In News, With 39 Comments

The South African Qualification and Certification Committee for Gas (SAQCC Gas) is mandated by the Department of Labour to ensure all gas practitioners are trained, certified and registered under the Pressure Equipment Regulations (PER). These legally binding regulations require anyone handling and working with gas to be an Authorised Person. The South African Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Contractors Association (SARACCA) is an accredited member association of SAQCC Gas with the responsibility to review and process applications from persons in the refrigeration and air conditioning industry. To be approved as a Refrigeration Gas Practitioner, the following should be taken into account;

• The person wishing to register must first complete the safe handling of refrigerants course at a recognised training provider.
  • The practitioner wishing to be registered must be working in the refrigeration and air conditioning industry as an installer or as a trade tested Artisan.
  • The practitioner must be then assessed as competent in the subjects of;
  • The objectives of the OHS act, Pressure Equipment Regulations and SANS 10147
  • Understand the implication of Ozone Depletion and Global Warming.
  • The operation of refrigeration systems
  • Understand the identification of refrigerants, the safe handling of cylinders and storage
  • Be aware of the phase-out of CFC and HCFC refrigerants.
  • The pressure testing of a system
  • The transfer and charging of a refrigeration system
  • The safe recovery of a refrigerant from a system.
  • Application for registration can now be done using the prescribed form and sent to SARACCA for verification.

When an application, along with proof of registration payment has been received, the verification process takes place and a category is then allocated to the type of work done and skills profile.

Once a practitioner has been registered, they are expected to uphold and adhere to the PER. A disciplinary procedure has been put in place by the SAQCC Gas Code of Conduct and is applicable to where an Authorised Person practicing within his scope of work shows poor or bad performance and workmanship. Dissatisfactory work will be viewed in a serious light and in severe cases of misconduct legal prosecution could follow

Click HERE to view the full guide to registration

View the Disciplinary Procedure HERE

39 Comments so far:

1. Morgan says:

I want to register my company as the hvac contractor, I have qualified aircon technicians under the company. Please advice on way forward

• SA_RACCA says:

Dear Morgan,

Please note that our office will be in contact to advise on registration.

• Sheperd says:

Need to register my company as hvac supplier

• SA_RACCA says:

Dear Sheperd
          Please note that our office will be in contact soon to advise on your request.

• Leon cross says:

I am a small company and we have been doing air-conditioning and refrigeration please contact me.074 617 4173

• Quinzelle says:

My husband has worked in this field for more than 15years. Where can he register himself for this licence?

• Khulani Kanye says:

Please help me with registration am an artisan in refrigeration and air-conditioning.

• SA_RACCA says:

Dear Khulani
          Please note that our office will be in contact soon to advise on your request.

• Benni Motlatsi says:

Hi im a techician also bit i want furthermore my studies with you guys more on commercial refrigeration n coke fridges as im doing domestic ones. Can you pls advise me on how can i register with you apparently i went to ekurhleni in Kempton park estc . I would love to know more i think im afraid afraid of challenging this commercial ones. I have a certficate in aircon n refrigeration but i have never work or repair them pls advise

• Mahlatji Madimetja Abram says:

Im a semi skilled aircon and refrigeration technician i need this gas handle certificate and have license to tanders

• Mosturd Manamela says:

Good morning

• Ikanyeng Bodigelo says:

I have been assesed and completed a course of COCat ACRA and still waiting for the gas License certificate. How can I get my gas License certificate?

• ETTIENNE says:

Good day
      I need to register my company
      as a hvac repairer and installer.
      Please contact me .

Tel – 0795490158
      Email – Salesbzr@outlook.com

2. Tsiko Murida says:

Good day,

I would like to register my company as Hvac contractor. How do I go about.

Thanks
    078 086 1503

3. Brianstin says:

Hi our company is a small air conditioner company specializing in mobile equipment and light delivery vehicles however we ant to expand and need guidan e as to what courses to do and where in order to register our company.

• SA_RACCA says:

Dear Brianstin
      Please note that our office will be in contact soon to advise on your request.

4. Snazo says:

Good evening,

I have a contracting company and I am looking to go into HVAC installations and maintenance.

Which courses or registration do I have to do in order to qualify as a recognised HVAC contractor?

Kind regards
    Snazo

5. Siqalo Mngoma says:

Good morning

I would like to if the course is offered on part-time bases. I am a qualified mechenica engineering technician. I have worked for couple of years in the companies that had refrigeration and air-conditioning section. I would like to attain a formal qualit now in the field. How do I go about doing it. I reside in Durban and currently I am TVET college lecturer. I am also teaching power machines N6 where refrigeration is part of the whole syllabus

6. Kamogelo seroka says:

Good. Day

Please assist me I am qualified refrigeration and air conditioning technician, I do have gas handling

I wanna register my company under saracca what are the procedure

7. Kamogelo seroka says:

My name is Kamogelo Wendy

I am qualified refrigeration and air conditioning technician also do have safe handling certificate

I would like to register my company with sarraca
    Please assist with the procedure

8. Kamogelo seroka says:

My name is Kamogelo Wendy

I would like to register my company with sarraca
    Please assist with the procedure

9. Shane Hoffman says:

Hi I have my gas license for refrigeraten I would like to know do I have to register myself again in order to get a COC book

Or must I do it through a registered company as I am busy with getting myself registered as a company.

I’m from cape town how do I get a COC book

10. Maposa vhushavhelo says:

Hello i have btech electrical engineering i don’t have trade test is it possible to get licenced if i do those Hvac courses without doing the trade test?

11. Jan Bailey says:

I a qaulified electrician. Have been working for Transnet for many years. There I did and passed the Theoretical and Practical Technicians course on Refrigeration and air conditioning Although I have worked on Transnet Refrigeration and Air Conditioning equipment, I never wrote the artisans Refrigeration and Ahir Conditioning exam I left Transnet and have passed the ACRICSA gas handling examination. which I believe is now not acknowledged any more. I have been doiing Refrigeration and Air Conditioning now for about 30 years. How do I become legalized again. I lost my ACRICSA card?

12. Shadreck Nyama says:

Hello
    Am Shadreck Nyama I want to register my company with saracca am a qualified technician with SAQA and safety handling certificate

13. Hi

I want to register my company and Aircon repair and installer.

Please assist me

14. Teflon Dynamic says:

Good day,

I would like to register my company as Hvac contractor. How do I go about.

15. Thero says:

Looking at the Pressure Vessels regulations, it is a requirement to do Gas leak tests for some assets. Would the following assets also require that?

1) Split AC units
    2) Cassetets
    3) Ducted hide-aways
    4) Midwall units?

16. Thobani Mbambo says:

I’m Thobani Mbambo a Refrigeration engineer qualified for installing, repairs and service of all types of refrigeration systems from domestic to commercial and I am looking to register my company into SARACCA

17. Gabriel says:

I have worked for a big company in ACat Bloemfontein for 15 yrs, in 2022 I registered mine, but I don’t have qualifications that proves am a technician. But I do installation and maintenance etc. What must I do to get certificate of AC company also coc

• Mosturd Manamela says:

Good morning

I just want to ask which are recommended and recognized aircon trainers you know please. My number is 0813945043

18. How can l register my company with SARACCA?

19. Nkosinathi says:

Hi please help me im also struggling to register my company as a saracca member

20. Emmanuel Nkosinathi Coka says:

I am a mathematics teacher in high school. i want to do a short course in HVAC part time. please advice.